Home Nigeria How much does Uber and Taxify drivers make a week in Nigeria

How much does Uber and Taxify drivers make a week in Nigeria

by Gerald Umeh
HOW MUCH DOES UBER AND TAXIFY DRIVERS MAKE A WEEK IN NIGERIA

Uber has undoubtedly changed the way we move around. My first contact with Uber was in 2016 while I was living in Hyderabad City in India and it was really the perfect way to move around the city considering the fact that I was new and didn’t know my way around the city.

Uber always came in handy.

While in India Uber also had a competition which was Oga Taxi at the time, there was also a lot of debate as to which was better in terms of pricing, better-looking cabs, customer service etc.

This debate is similar to what is happening today in Nigeria between Uber and Taxify. Taxify is really giving Uber a run for their money and this led to Uber slashing their price per KM last year.

For most young Nigerian, both have created more meaningful employment even for women.

How much Do Uber and Taxify Drivers Make weekly?

Last week, I ordered a cab on my Uber App to take me from my house on the island to Computer Village in Ikeja and back. The fee was N8000 (Eight Thousand Nigerian Naira) and in the course of my conversation with the young Uber driver, he told me that he just bought the Corolla for 3Million Naira about 6months ago. He also revealed that his daily target was N20,000. As a businessman, I did the maths N20000 x 6days a week and the total is #120,000. That means that this young man makes 120k weekly and I know graduates who work Monday to Saturday and no control over their time and they earn 60k salary monthly. I got very interested and my next question was if he meets this daily target and what he did was give me his book.

What was in His book?

From the book, I discovered that he already made a trip to the airport and back for 10k before he picked me up and I paid him 10k, This means that he already made 18k with lots of time to make some more money before the day runs out. By this analysis, I figured that this guy makes over 400k monthly.

400,000 Monthly income is a DREAM COME TRUE for many Nigerians especially graduates, Imagine if He took a loan of 3Million to buy the car, it means that he will be able to pay off his loan in about a year while living a life that most Nigerians dream of.

Guess what? He uses an iPhone 7 Plus which he explained as a necessity as he is both on Uber and Taxify platform.

3days after, I had to travel out of Lagos and I booked for another cab with my Uber App, my discussion with the last taxi guy was still on my mind so I started a conversation along the same line with this new guy and he told me that he just bought his car about 2weeks now after driving for someone else for over a year. His earnings were not so different from the first guy but he explained further that It is more profitable if you are driving your own car.

Become an Uber Diver and earn N20,000 upon signing up if you

CLICK HERE

You may also like

36 comments

Emmanuel April 16, 2018 - 12:08 pm

Wow! Good information, I think I’ll try that out!

Gerald Umeh April 16, 2018 - 7:20 pm

I think you should too but make sure you are driving your own vehicle plus Toyotas are always better

Afees April 17, 2018 - 1:43 pm

20,000 is not realistic at all may be once in a week and so the information given by this Peron was not real at all

Gerald Umeh April 22, 2018 - 10:23 pm

A lot of farmers complain while some give testimonies… Your hunger and how much you are willing to HUSTLE makes all the difference

Sola April 18, 2018 - 3:12 am

How about if you have a job at hand but want a business by the side that will earn something and you plan on buying a car to use for uber and engage a driver to drive it, also which brand and model of car is best suitable.

Gerald Umeh April 22, 2018 - 10:20 pm

My candid advise is to drive it by yourself. Go to work and hustle at your free time.

Bj August 17, 2018 - 5:46 pm

This information are not right.. pls don’t miss lead pple. One can’t make 20k everyday.. maybe once in a week. If u are lucky. When u call the amount.. u did not mention fuel and some other thing. U spend money to make money but u less the money spend then u tell pple the come home amount. It’s not easy ooo.. as u said if u driving ur car.. it’s a good deal and biz.. and pains all over ur body. Cheers

Gerald Umeh November 7, 2018 - 1:37 pm

The harder you work, The luckier you get

Okey November 7, 2018 - 7:51 am

My location is Enugu, can it work here? I mean, can I meet up since Uber drivers are not allowed to pick other passengers?

Gerald Umeh November 7, 2018 - 1:36 pm

uber is currently not in Enugu

ADE December 17, 2018 - 4:03 pm

someone told me taxify provides cars, give it out to drivers on installmental basis.. i just want to confirm.

Gerald Umeh December 20, 2018 - 12:21 pm

I am not aware of this at the moment, put a call across to them or visit their office for confirmation

Eke Tom January 3, 2019 - 6:27 am

God will bless you sir for this information. Someone want to give me his used Matrix car will they accept it. And how much can I be remitting to the owner on daily basis or weekly.

Gerald Umeh January 28, 2019 - 9:28 am

I believe so, they accept cars from 2004 i believe, kindly check their website or call them to confirm

Someone that hate uber January 26, 2019 - 4:26 pm

Rubbish talk. So all the 18000 is his own? He will buy fuel and uber takes 1/4 of the money, he will eat and if he has sense , he must save for maintenance of the car. On the long run his profit on the 18k is less than 4k

Gerald Umeh January 28, 2019 - 9:30 am

Thank you for the insult but let’s assume that you are correct for a minute. 4k multiplied by 30days is 120k for a month right?
I know graduates who get 50k as salary in Lagos monthly

Obinna kelvin February 15, 2019 - 8:59 am

I love your reply. The problem with the youths is that they don’t know about something and still don’t care to know. Anyone who read this post was searching for an information when they see what they were looking for their ignorance won’t still allow them to learn

Daniel May 7, 2019 - 6:39 am

Gerald, brain will not kill you o

Gerald Umeh May 10, 2019 - 8:47 am

LOL. Thank you bro

Lekan February 11, 2019 - 12:08 pm

I have a Honda Accord 2008, I just started driving Uber but i observe he don’t worth driving and am sure is not possible for someone to make that amount in a day if u pick a rider from local airport to Mende in Maryland lagos and it charge u 1300 how many are you going to see in a day.. this Uber business didnt worth doing.

Gerald Umeh February 18, 2019 - 7:04 am

Our stories and experiences are completely different, so is our efforts and dedication. someone that wakes up by 5am and targets a few airports trips will definitely do better that someone who hits the road by 8 which is definitely traffic time, Again, Honda is definitely bad for the business

Chinwe July 1, 2019 - 11:29 am

Gerald Umeh, please why is Honda bad for the business. I want to use a Honda city car. What’s your advice on that?

Gerald Umeh July 1, 2019 - 9:14 pm

I believe Honda City will do well. I have heard a few complaints about Honda Accords, not City.
Best of luck

Tayo February 13, 2019 - 1:54 pm

I like you, Gerald. Your comments so far, are polite even with the insults you get.

Gerald Umeh February 18, 2019 - 7:26 am

SULE March 11, 2019 - 12:14 am

Is it advisable to use a Mercedes E500 for Uber driving?

Gerald Umeh March 13, 2019 - 1:18 am

I am not sure how efficient that car is in terms of fuel consumption but Mercedes being a luxury car might be a bad idea as it concerns maintenance

Sade May 8, 2019 - 5:12 pm

Thank you for sharing this info. I’m thinking of buying a used vehicle and rent it to a friend who will drive for Uber in Lagos. He wants to pay me 30k weekly. Do you think it’s good idea?

Gerald Umeh May 10, 2019 - 8:47 am

The vehicles I have on the platform does 30k weekly. I think it’s fine

Latuma May 20, 2019 - 4:02 pm

Pls do you know any info about uber or taxify in Ibadan?

Gerald Umeh May 22, 2019 - 6:27 pm

Not sure about Uber but I heard Taxify is currently in Ibadan
I did a google search for you and here is their address: 34 Oyo Rd, Samonda, Ibadan
I hope this helps

Udo May 30, 2019 - 6:56 pm

Am wowed 🙌🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾is Hyundai accepted for this uber business ??

pEEi August 30, 2019 - 4:17 pm

Yes. Cos most Hyundai vehicles below sonata are fuel efficient and and reliable like the Toyota Corolla. Look into Accent and Elantra. Ensure you buy 1.4L-1.6L for the Accent and not beyond the 2.0L for the Elantra. 1.5k fuel which is 10L fuel can do from Ojuwoye bus stop Mushin to Estate gate Ipaja to and from x2 with AC

Onyinye August 26, 2019 - 3:06 pm

Good day Gerald. Your answers here have been very helpful. Am doing a feasibility study on Uber/Taxify, a friend wants to give me her car to use for Uber. Please, I would like to know the followings:
How much can I agree to remit to her in a weekly basis.
What kind of car should i use for the Uber?
Are there other things I should know of, consider before venturing into this venture.
Thank you.

Gerald Umeh August 30, 2019 - 11:27 am

Hi Onyinye
I believe I’ve answered your questions on our instagram chat

Abib November 27, 2019 - 6:26 pm

Hi. What is the minimum vehicle year for uber?